Adjunct Professor: Dr. Scott E. BoyceInaktiv: Der Benutzer ist in TUMonline nicht mehr aktiv!
Inactive: The user is not active in TUMonline anymore!
My interest is in developing methodologies and computer simulation programs that help in understanding the availability of water resources in arid and semiarid regions.
My research includes developing regional conjunctive use models (groundwater, surface water, landscape), parameter structure identification (model calibration), mathematical optimization strategies for sustainable management of water resources, and reservoir operations and management.
- 2015 | PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Major: Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering
- Minor 1: Operations Research and Optimization Theory
- Minor 2: Biostatistics
- Dissertation: Model Reduction via Proper Orthogonal Decomposition of Confined and Unconfined Groundwater-Flow
- 2009 | MS, Civil Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2003 | BS, Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
- Army ROTC Cadet in Surfrider Battalion
- UC LEADS Scholarship (2001-2003; Leadership Excellence through Advanced Degrees)
- 2010 – present | United States Geological Survey, California Water Science Center
- Boyce, S.E., Hanson, R.T., Ferguson, I., Schmid, W., Henson, W., Reimann, T., Mehl, S.M., and Earll, M.M., 2020, One-Water Hydrologic Flow Model: A MODFLOW Based Conjunctive Use and Integrated Hydrologic Flow Model: U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-A60, 435 p. https://doi.org/10.3133/tm6a60
- Alattar, M., Troy, T., Russo, T. and Boyce, S. E., 2020, Modeling the surface water and groundwater budgets of the US using MODFLOW-OWHM. Advances in Water Resources, 143, p. 103682, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103682
- Boyce, S.E., Nishikawa, T., and Yeh, W. W.G., 2015, Reduced order modeling of the Newton formulation of MODFLOW to solve unconfined groundwater flow. Advances in Water Resources, 83, 250-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2015.06.005
- Selected by the U.S. Office of Groundwater for best groundwater report by an early career scientist
- Boyce, S.E. and Ferguson, I.M., 2021, MODFLOW One-Water Hydrologic Flow Model (MF-OWHM) Conjunctive Use and Integrated Hydrologic Flow Modeling Software with Surface Water Operations, version 2.1.0: U.S. Geological Survey Software Release, https://doi.org/10.5066/P9P8I8GS
- Boyce, S.E., 2020, MODFLOW One-Water Hydrologic Flow Model (MF-OWHM) Conjunctive Use and Integrated Hydrologic Flow Modeling Software, version 2.0.x: U.S. Geological Survey Software Release, https://doi.org/10.5066/P9P8I8GS
- Hanson, R.T., Ritchie, A.B., Boyce, S.E., Galanter, A.E., Ferguson, I.A., Flint, L.E., and Henson, W.R., 2018, Rio Grande transboundary integrated hydrologic model and water-availability analysis, New Mexico and Texas, United States, and Northern Chihuahua, Mexico: U.S Geological Survey Open-File Report 2018–1091, 185 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20181091
- Ritchie, A., Hanson, R.T., Galanter, A., Boyce, S., Dagmar, N., and Shephard, Z., 2018, Data release of digital hydrologic data for the Rio Grande transboundary region of New Mexico, Texas, USA and northern Chihuahua, Mexico: U.S. Geological Survey data release
- Cromwell, G. and Boyce, S.E., 2018, Chapter B: Overview of Hydrogeologic Framework Model in Nishikawa, T., ed., 2018, Santa Barbara and Foothill groundwater basins Geohydrology and optimal water resources management—Developed using density dependent solute transport and optimization models (pp 31-118): U.S. Geological Survey, Scientific Investigations Report 2018-5059, https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20185059
- Stanko, Z. P., Boyce, S. E., and Yeh, W. W. G., 2016, Nonlinear model reduction of unconfined groundwater flow using POD and DEIM. Advances in Water Resources, 97, 130-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2016.09.005
- Xu, B., Boyce, S. E., Zhang, Y., Liu, Q., Guo, L., and Zhong, P. A., 2016, Stochastic Programming with a Joint Chance Constraint Model for Reservoir Refill Operation Considering Flood Risk. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 04016067. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000715
- Ferguson, I., Llewellyn, D., Hanson, R.T., Boyce, S., 2015, User Guide to the Surface Water Operations Process: An Integrated Approach to Simulating Large-Scale Surface Water Management in MODFLOW-Based Hydrologic Models. US Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Technical Memorandum No. 86-68210-2016-02
- Boyce, S.E., 2015, Model Reduction via Proper Orthogonal Decomposition of Transient Confined and Unconfined Groundwater Flow, PhD thesis, University of California Los Angeles. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/0k31q9qr
- Boyce, S.E. and Yeh, W. W.G., 2014, Parameter-independent model reduction of transient groundwater flow models: Application to inverse problems. Advances in Water Resources, 69, 168-180. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2014.04.009
- Hanson, R.T., Boyce, S.E., Schmid, W., Hughes, J.D., Mehl, S.M., Leake, S.A., Maddock, T. III, and Niswonger, R.G., 2014, One-Water Hydrologic Flow Model (MODFLOW-OWHM). U.S. Geological Survey TM6-A51, 120 p., http://dx.doi.org/10.3133/tm6A51