Beatrice Dittes, Dr.-Ing.
- since 2014 | PhD student at the Engineering Risk Analysis Group, Technische Universität München
- 2012-2013 | M.Sc. in Physics, University of Cambridge
- 2009-2012 | B.A. in Physics, University of Cambridge and M.I.T.
Long-term planning for flood protection infrastructure in an uncertain climate
- Supervision of student projects
- Julian Böhm (2017/18 Winter): Residual risk in the flood protection along the Bavarian Danube.
- Lukas Schoppa (2016/17 Winter): Assessment of uncertainty in the prediction of future extreme discharge due to climate change for the case study area of Rosenheim (Mangfall catchment). Co-supervised with Dr. Olga Špačková.
- Negin Ebrahimian and Kai-Feng Chen (2016/17 Winter): Comparing Sources of Uncertainty in Flood Risk Estimation. Master's thesis. Co-supervised with Dr. Olga Špačková.
- Andrea Bininda (2015 Summer): Probabilistic modeling of design floods based on rainfall data and hydrologic models. Co-supervised with Dr. Olga Špačková.
- Michael Ellinger (2015 Summer): Influence of spatially correlated rainfall on prediction of extreme discharges: case study of Mangfall catchment. Master's thesis. Co-supervised with Dr. Olga Špačková.
- Oliver Weiss (2014/15 Winter): Weighting of a multi-model ensemble for probabilitstic extreme events based on the underlying model genealogy. Master's thesis.
- Michael Ellinger (2014/15 Winter): Mangfall case study for an adaptive flood management decision making framework under climate change uncertainty. Co-supervised with Dr. Olga Špačková.
- Various assistant activities for the courses Flood Risk and Flood Management, Risikomanagement and Zuverlässigkeit und Lastannahmen throughout semesters.
- Zuverlässigkeit und Lastannahmen (2014 Summer): Development of massive open online course (MOOC) on edX (responsible PhD student)
Publications / Conferences
Dittes, B., Špačková O., Straub D. Managing uncertainty in design flood magnitude: Flexible protection strategies vs. safety factors. Journal of Flood Risk Management, e12455, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.12455)
Dittes, B., Kaiser, M., Špačková, O., Rieger, W., Disse, M., Straub, D. Risk-based planning of flexible flood protection under climate change uncertainty. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science 18, 1327-1347, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-18-1327-2018)
Dittes, B., Špačková, O., Schoppa, L., and Straub, D. Managing uncertainty in flood protection planning with climate projections, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 22, 2511-2526, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-2511-2018, 2018)
B. Dittes, O. Špačková, N. Ebrahimian, M. Kaiser, W. Rieger, M. Disse, D. Straub. Quantification of uncertainty in flood risk assessment for flood protection planning: a Bayesian approach. European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 2017.
B. Dittes, O. Špačková, D. Straub. Sequential planning of flood protection infrastructure under limited historic flood record and climate change uncertainty. European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 2017.
M. Kaiser, B. Dittes, O. Špačková, W. Rieger, M. Disse, D. Straub. Planung von Hochwasserschutzmaßnahmen unter Klimaunsicherheit. Tag der Hydrologie, Trier, Germany, 2017.
O. Špačková, B. Dittes, D. Straub. Critical Infrastructure And Disaster Risk Reduction Planning Under Socioeconomic And Climate Change Uncertainty. 6th International Disaster and Risk Conference, Davos, Switzerland, 2016.
B. Dittes, O. Špačková, D. Straub. Optimizing adaptable flood protection under uncertainty. Symposium on Reliability of Engineering Systems, Hangzhou, China, 2015.
O. Špačková, B. Dittes, D. Straub. Risk-based Optimization of Adaptable Protection Measures Against Natural Hazards. 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, 2015.
B. Dittes, O. Špačková, D. Straub. Optimal decisions on adaptable flood protection under climate uncertainty.The European Climate Change Adaptation Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2015.
B. Dittes, O. Špačková, D. Straub. Climate factor based optimization of adoptive flood protection measures. International conference Analysis and Management of Changing Risks for Natural Hazards, Padua, Italy, 2014.
H. Schmidt, M. Wiebe, B. Dittes, M. Grundmann, Meyer-Neldel Rule in ZnO, Applied Physics Letters (APL) 91 232110 2007