Elizabeth Bismut, Dr.-Ing.
Phone: +49 89 289 23017
Office hours: by arrangement
- 2016 - 2022 | PhD student at the Engineering Risk Analysis Group, Technische Universität München
- 2018 (Jan-Apr): Visiting Researcher at the Advanced Infrastructure Systems Group, Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, USA)
- 2012 - 2016 | Structural Engineer at Ramboll, London and Singapore
- 2011 - 2012 | M.Sc in Advanced Structural Engineering, Imperial College London
- 2010 - 2011 | Structural Engineer at Atelier One, London
- 2008 - 2012 | Diplôme d’Ingénieur (Génie Civil), Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées (ENPC), France
- Deterioration processes in structural systems
- Risk based inspection and maintenance planning with Bayesian networks
- Markov decision processes
- Stochastic optimization
- Value of Information
- Lecturer of the course “Probabilistic life cycle analysis and integrity management of infrastructures” (S18, S19, W20/21, S21, S22, W22/23)
- TA for “Risk analysis” (W16/17, W21/22)
- TA for “Risk assessment” (S17)
- Master Thesis (2022): Reinforcement Learning for Inspection and Maintenance Planning - A Comparison of Neural Networks and Monte Carlo Tree Search
- Master Thesis (2022): Risk-Based Decision Making in Geotechnical Engineering - Optimal Pre-Loading of an Embankment
- Master thesis (2019): Sequential decision problems with uncertain observations: Value of Information with erroneous assumptions
- Master thesis (2018): Stochastic methods for policy optimization in a decision problem: Investigating the efficiency of the Cross Entropy method for solving partially observable Markov decision processes (POMDPs).
- Master thesis (2018): Optimizing quality assurance measures for flexible manufacturing scenarios via decision analysis (co-supervision/ Siemens)
- Study project (2018): Cross entropy method and Reinforcement Learning applied to policy optimization
- Master thesis (2017): Stiffness and damage identification by Bayesian updating of a multi-component steel frame under dynamic load
- Master thesis (2017): Optimizing flexible infrastructure designs via partially observable Markov decision processes(POMDPs)
- Bismut, E., Pandey, M.D., Straub, D. 2022. Reliability-based inspection and maintenance planning of a nuclear feeder piping system. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 224, 108521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2022.108521
- Bismut, E., Straub, D. 2022. A unifying review of NDE models towards optimal decision support. Structural Safety, 97, 102213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2022.102213
- Bismut, E., Straub, D. 2021. Optimal adaptive inspection and maintenance planning for deteriorating structural systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 215: 107891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2021.107891
- Bismut, E., Straub, D., 2019. Direct policy search as an alternative to POMDP for sequential decision problems in infrastructure planning. Proc. 13th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, ICASP13, Seoul, Korea.
- Bismut, E., Straub, D., 2018. Adaptive direct policy search for inspection and maintenance planning in structural systems. In: Sixth International symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering 2018, IALCCE 2018.
- Bismut, E., Straub, D., 2018.Inspection And Maintenance Planning In Large Monitored Structures. In: Sixth International Symposium on Reliability Engineering and Risk Management, 6ISRERM.
- Bismut, E., Luque, J., Straub, D., 2017. Optimal prioritization of inspections in structural systems considering component interactions and interdependence. In: 12th International Conference on Structural Safety & Reliability, ICOSSAR 2017. pp. 2260–2269.