Design Project Building Construction
The design project addresses students from the faculties of architecture and civil engineering. It promotes the integrated work of the closely connected disciplines. The structural design is carried out in form of an annually changing design task which is tackled by teams of two or three students from different disciplines. Each student brings his specific knowledge into the design process to collectively develop a detailed project from the beginning. The groups will be supervised by lecturers from both chairs involved. Experts are available to give support in the specialist areas structure, fire safety and energy-efficiency.
The design is usally subdivided into three phases:
- Conceptual design stage: Presentation of alternative solutions, advantages and disadvantages
- Planning and dimensioning (planning for submission): Detailed graphical and numerical design of the chosen solution, presentation of construction layers of regular details
- Detailing and execution planning: revision of solution, detailing of joints
A one-day excursion is planned to foster the formation of groups and to visit exemplary buildings.
The students learn
- The design, planning and structural detailing of buildings and structures when having to integrate diverging demands and specifications from different disciplines.
- To develop planning concepts, to bring out promising alternatives on the basis of plausibility considerations and finally to develop one design concept within an ongoing process up to the stage of execution
- To present their results precisely and clear with the aid of typical presentation formats (talk, plans, written records and models).
Group Support: Tuesday, 8:00 - 13:00, 60 Minutes each group, Room tba
Open consultation hours: Tuesday, 13:00, Room tba
Consultation hours: by arrangement
Semesterinformation: only offered during the winter semester
Other: For the design project a prior written registration with the supervisors is required. Urgently recommended prerequisites for the design project are the following subjects: Building Construction I+II, Advanced Building Construction, Basics of Fire Protection.
Registration for the design project in WS 2023/24 until end of WS 2022/23 with Julian Lukas.